Heidi and I were talking today about some of our favorite little corners of the internet to waste away all that free time we have as moms. 😉 Below are a few of our favs for the next time you are squirreled away in a quiet corner looking for something short, but interesting to read; hoping to find food inspiration for dinner; or trying to figure out how to turn that pallet your new shingles arrived on into an amazing DIY patio set. Happy surfing!
1. YOUNG HOUSE LOVE http://www.younghouselove.com/ Both Heidi and I love, love, love, all the fantastic ideas and experiences shared by John and Sherry on their blog as they have navigated through fixing up multiple homes, having kids, and now doing a podcast!
2. SCARY MOMMY http://www.scarymommy.com/ Initially started by one mommy as a way to chronicle her experiences as a stay-at-home mom, and now so much more with fantastic shared stories by moms of kids of all ages, solid parenting information, and fun little parent themed news/gossip items. My favorite part? A healthy dose of snark, and a lot of real.
3. THE PIONEER WOMAN http://thepioneerwoman.com/ Heidi got me hooked on Ree Drummond’s fantastic romp through country life and all the amazing recipes she dishes out for her family and friends!
4. GREAT BIG STORY https://www.greatbigstory.com/ Before I went to law school I got my undergrad in Cultural Anthropology, one might not consider this the most useful degree, hence the law school (which clearly I am using every day now…. 😉 ), but it remains my passion. The stories are short, interesting, and I feel like I have been around the world and into every little corner of pop-culture, having learned about everything from people camping on cots suspended on the sides of cliffs mid-climb, to the harvesting of salt amidst pits of sulfur. It’s an easy way to get a little snippet of culture into a very, uncultured day!
5. PURE WOW http://www.purewow.com/ Fun reads on all things girly–fashion, beauty, recipes, and family–I could have used today’s quick and easy tips on how to tie a Moby wrap 4.5 years ago when I spent about two hours of post-partum frustration trying to safely get my giant middle baby into it without dropping her!!!
6. MAGNOLIA MARKET https://magnoliamarket.com/blog/ It was Heidi who got me hooked on Fixer Upper on HGTV about two years ago, and I have been in love with Chip and Joanna ever since. I love cruising through Joanna’s “At Home” blog on the Magnolia Market website and getting new ideas for home & hearth. Not to mention, her DIY section is shockingly attainable. I’ve always been a huge Martha Stewart lover, but have never found that I have quite the skill to live up to her Martha-ness!!
7. PEOPLE http://people.com/ And then sometimes you just need your fill of some good, old-fashioned celebrity gossip. We both agreed that when we truly need to just kick back and not think too hard about anything, People.com is our favorite guilty little pleasure.
Here’s to enjoying those little moments of free time when you are too tired to read a book, but don’t want to play solitaire on your phone again!
Alix and Heidi